Message sent to all Notre Dame students, on February 28, 2020, at the Rome Global Gateway
We are following the directives of the local and national Italian government on how to proceed. Additional updates will follow as new information is published by health authorities.
Dear Study Abroad Students in Italy:
The decision today by the CDC and the State Department to raise the travel advisory for Italy to Warning Level 3 due to an increasing spread of the COVID-19 has prompted Notre Dame officials to make the difficult but necessary decision to end all programming in Italy for the remainder of the semester, effectively immediately.
NDI has been working very closely with the Rome Global Gateway, our partner institutions, and various units on campus. Please know that we are committed to your academic continuity and will do everything we can to enable you to complete this semester. More details will follow in the coming days.
In the immediate future, please be advised of the following:
- You will be departing from Italy as early as Sunday. The University has decided that you will return to the home address we have on record. Anthony Travel is booking your flight now and you will get a travel itinerary soon.
- Upon entry into the U.S. or upon arrival at another international airport, please be prepared to be screened for COVID-19 symptoms.
- Upon returning home, please follow CDC recommendations to self-isolate for 14 days at your home after your first screening. Information on what this entails will be on the University website. Please note that forms will be sent to you for completion and you will have to upload the completed medical clearance and provider release form to your patient portal in order to obtain clearance to return to campus.
The University is committed to your academic continuity and is currently making plans to allow everyone to finish the semester either through online learning or by other means. Once these details are finalized, we will contact you via e-mail.
We understand your disappointment with this decision; however, your safety and well-being are the University’s top priority. We are committed to doing everything possible to help you in this transition.
If you have any questions, please write to email@example.com or call 1-574-631-1138.
Senior Director of Global Education
- Message sent to all Notre Dame students, faculty, and staff on February 26, 2020, at the Rome Global Gateway
- Message sent to all Notre Dame students, faculty, and staff on February 24, 2020, at the Rome Global Gateway